Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pink streaks and celebrating life

So, I decided to start a blog. I had a bunch of ideas of things I wanted to write about running around my head, all too long for Facebook. So, here we are.

A word about the name... I got a pink streak put in my hair recently. It was a sort of echo of 10 years ago, when I was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease, cut off my waist length hair pre-chemo, and on a dare from a friend, dyed it purple. As she put it, "this is your chance to dye your hair a socially unacceptable color. You can always blame it on the chemo." I did it, and a bunch of my friends dyed streaks purple in solidarity.

So to mark the 10-year anniversary of that, and my 50th birthday, I got a pink streak. OK, it's not really MY hair, it's a clip in, but my hairdresser assures me this will last much longer than dye on a bleached out streak. And my daughters, Rapunzel and The Nerd, also got a steak (pink for Rapunzel and purple for The Nerd).

Most people have loved it. My husband took 2 days to notice it. But one coworker asked me if it was "some sort of midlife rebellion?" I think I gaped at her a couple seconds (who actually says that out loud?) and then babbled something about the chemo and the purple streak and escaped.

What I wish I'd said was, "No, it's a celebration of life."

So. This blog is a celebration of life, and a chance for me to ponder out loud some of the things I've learned so far. I hope you enjoy coming on the journey with me.

10 comments:

  1. What a great start to your blog!

    I've been seriously considering some brightly-colored streaks in my hair. (I guess you and I are both going through the same midlife rebellion! :D)

    How does the clip-in thing work? Do you remove it, or does it stay in all the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can leave it in all the time, but it's better to take it out at night, and for sure when you wash your hair. You can wash the clip in with shampoo - it's real hair. It's super easy to put in, and Rapunzel likes that she can move hers around depending on how she's wearing her hair.

      Delete
  2. Great start, Anne,, definitely a blog to follow! After my cancer last summer, I completely LOVE what you did! Wish I'd thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Anne!! Can't wait to read more. Hugs from afar... Chrissy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! My stylist asked me if I wanted some, but I was too chicken this time - I'll stick with the sparkles. :-) Congrats on starting a blog - now the challenge is going to be to write in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pink hair! One of my first acts as a college kid was to dye two blue streaks in my hair--not really a celebration of life, but as a rebellion against never being able to do that as a student at a private high school... welcome to blogging! It's so much fun.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. So today, a male coworker I don't see often saw me and said "what's up with the pink streak?" I used my celebration of life line, and he just stared at me. Ah well, not everyone gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say 1) I love the hair and what it stands for [but would love it even without the deeper significance, because it just looks cool] 2) I'm glad you're blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete